by Sameer Rao
Jemi was founded in April 2020 as a platform to help creators and public figures interact with their audience and make money. But with the recent rise in anti-asian hate crimes, we’re launching our own #StopAsianHate campaign with Asian creators and allies.
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, anti-Asian rhetoric has spread across America. There were over 3,000 reported anti-Asian attacks in 2020 following the beginning of the pandemic and a 1900% increase in hate crimes against Asian Americans. This was not well covered by popular media sources, and we owe it to platforms like NextShark who provided coverage and attention to these incidents. You can find a full list of educational materials here that will provide you with more details and a longer timeline.
As an all Asian founding team, this issue hits home for us. And we’re deciding to use our platform for good. We’re partnering with our community of creators who have decided to donate 100% of their proceeds to various local and global organizations and nonprofits that are providing critical services to the community.
Read more to see how our creators are making a difference and how you can join the campaign.
How creators are making a difference to #StopAsianHate
Creators in our #StopAsianHate community are setting specific interactions and services on their Jemi pages to have 100% of proceeds directed towards #StopAsianHate. Check out the different types of services and experiences our creators are offering:
- Zoom Events: Creators like Lexa Doig are hosting Zoom events with her fans to raise money for this campaign. It’s a great way for fans to interact with creators and also contribute to a good cause.
2. Personalized video shoutouts: Video shout-outs are a treasure that fans love. It’s a memory with the creator that they can hold on to. Creators like Louriza Tronco are offering shoutouts with 100% of proceeds being donated.
3. 1:1 Zoom calls: Creators like Bumblefoot are offering 1:1 calls while raising money for #StopAsianHate.
4. Physical merchandise and goods: Creators like Mig Macario are offering signed photos with all proceeds donated to #StopAsianHate.
5. Professional services: You don’t have to be a content creator to help contribute towards #StopAsianHate! For all the PMs, software engineers, business moguls, or any other professionals out there — you can offer resume reviews, career advice, mock interviews, and more and still give what you have to raise money :)
There are a lot of different ways for creators and artists to use their creative talents for this campaign. If you’re interested in joining the campaign, here’s how:
- Sign up: The first step is to join Jemi as a creator and start setting up your profile with different online experiences (shoutouts, 1:1 Zooms, group Zoom events, memberships, etc.) you’d be willing to offer your fans. Check out our FAQ section to learn more about Jemi. This is open to all creators, and we’d love to have you join the cause as well.
- Join the campaign: You can join the campaign as a creator by clicking on “Join This Community” on our campaign page. Once you’ve opted in as a #StopAsianHate ally, you’ll receive a special badge on your creator profile that indicates your partnership with Jemi to #StopAsianHate. You’ll also appear on our special #StopAsianHate page where all other creators participating in this initiative will appear within 24 hours of joining.
- Select your Jemi services to contribute towards the campaign: Once you join the campaign, you can choose which services on your Jemi page you’d like to have proceeds donated to this campaign by clicking on the “Configure Interactions” button on your profile. For example, you may want all proceeds for an upcoming Zoom event to be donated to the initiative, but not your merchandise.
- Share your profile: Once you’ve finished setting up your profile, it’s time to start sharing your Jemi page and the campaign. If you’d like custom graphics and assets to promote the campaign, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing words and a thank you
As always, thank you for being a part of our journey. If you have any questions regarding the campaign, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.